The Faculty of Geography and History of the ULPGC is the educational and administrative institution that is responsible for defining, organising, coordinating and managing the undergraduate and postgraduate studies in History and Geography. The Faculty is also responsible for additional training that is organised as seminars, lectures, conferences and courses. In addition, the Faculty collaborates with other universities in order to develop official and FGH educational programmes.
The Faculty of Geography and History of the ULPGC is currently based in the building Agustín Millares Carló, Obelisco Campus, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. This Faculty was created in 1989 by the University Reorganisation Act, which created the current University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (BOC 64, 08 May 1989). Before this, the first cycle of the former single Bachelor’s Degree in Geography and History was taught at the College of Las Palmas, which depended on the University of La Laguna.
The Faculty phases:
- From 1983 to 1984. First academic year in which studies in Geography and History (single degree, first cycle) were taught at the College of Las Palmas.
- January, 1990. Move to the current building Agustín Millares Carló, Obelisco Campus.
- From 1989 to 1990. The University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and, consequently, this Faculty were created.
- From 1993 to 1994. In this academic year, the degree courses in Geography and History began separately.
- From 2001 to 2002. The Curriculums of the Bachelor’s Degree in Geography and the Bachelor’s Degree in History are reformed and adapted to the new rules.
- In 2009, the new Bachelor’s Degree in History and the new Bachelor’s Degree in Geography and Spatial Planning began, as a result of the implementation of Spanish Order 1393/2007 in order to adapt these studies to the European Higher Education Area.
- In 2011, the first year of the Master’s Degree in Archaeology began, in collaboration with the University of La Laguna.
- In 2014 began the Master’s Degree in Hispanic-African Relationships and Master’s Degree in Historical, Cultural and Natural Heritage.
The lecturers who have taken the responsibility as Dean of this Faculty have been:
Dr. José Miguel Pérez García
(From 1990 to 1998)
Dra. Josefina Domínguez Mujica
(From 1998 to 2006)
Dr. Gerardo Delgado Aguiar
(From 2006 to 2017)
Dr. Pedro González Quintero
On 24 November 2008, we celebrated the 25 th anniversary of the Geography and History studies in this University, first as College depended on the University of La Laguna, and then as Faculty of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
On 13 May 2013, the newspaper CANARIAS7 published an article about this Faculty: see here.